- LiveWell360 Staff
- September 30, 2015
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- water, as needed
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, your favorite (if you are daring, make your own…I haven’t attempted this yet)
- alfalfa sprouts
- 4 sprouted wheat buns
- garlic powder
- sea salt
- Cut chicken breasts into quarters to help it cook faster. Place into a medium size sauce pot, pour in chicken broth for added flavor, and top off with water so that chicken is covered. Boil until chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken is boiling, preheat oven to 400° F. Place sprouted wheat buns, open face, on a cookie sheet. Spread a small amount of butter (maybe 1/2 tsp per bun) on each, just to help them toast. Sprinkle with a little garlic powder and salt. Place cookie sheet into the oven and toast for 10 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Remove chicken from pot and place on cutting board. Using two forks, shred chicken into small, bite-size pieces. Then place chicken into a medium size bowl. Cover with barbecue sauce. Typically I use about 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce per 12 ounces of chicken but you can start with a little, mix, and add more if necessary. Stir until chicken is thoroughly coated. Set aside.
- Time to assemble…
- Place bun open face on plate. Spoon 1/4 of the barbecue chicken mixture onto the bottom half of the bun. Then top with a bunch (I use about a palmful) of alfalfa sprouts. Place top half of bun on top. Serve!
4 serving = per serving
Fat: 4 g
Carbs: 25 g
Protein: 26 g