- LiveWell360 Staff
- September 14, 2015
This is my take on the Food Network recipe, Ginger Pecan Oatmeal Crisps. These cookies are so crispy and nutty. As you can see, I have made some adjustments in order to make them a bit healthier.
Every year my family has a cookie exchange at Christmas, so this year, these delicious morsels are my contribution. You may already know all about my affinity for oats, so how could I resist using them as my cookie recipe of choice as well!?!
- 1 cup rolled oatmeal
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup organic light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- cooking spray (I use coconut oil)
- Grind the oatmeal and pecan pieces in a food processor. The consistency should be resemble cornmeal, reasonably fine but with some texture. Whisk the whole wheat flour, cornstarch, ginger, salt and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Then mix in the oat and pecan mixture.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth and light. Then, add the cane sugar and light brown sugar. Continue beating until it is thoroughly incorporated, about 3 more minutes. Add the vanilla extract and the egg and beat again.
- Now add in the dry ingredients a little at a time. You may have to stop using the electric mixer at this point and mix by hand with a spatula because it is a thick batter.
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap and pack the dough into the bottom half of the pan. Press to level off the dough evenly. Place a piece of plastic wrap on top and refrigerate until it is firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray or coat with coconut oil. Remove dough from the pan and unwrap. Slice dough in half lengthwise then slice each log crosswise into 1/4-inch thick cookies.
- Place the cookies about a 1-inch apart on the oiled pans. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack in order to allow them to cool and crisp.
Cookies can be stored in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 week.
36 servings = per serving
Fat: 6 g
Carbs: 10 g
Protein: 1 g