Whether it’s McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut, Wendy’s, Dunkin’ Donuts or Taco Bell, fast food waits around every corner. This can make sticking to a healthy diet tricky and ramp up those fast food cravings to the next level.
Even though many fast food chains have recently tried to make their menus a little healthier, we still know these restaurants are a nightmare for shortening our lives and expanding our dress size!
However, with a little effort, you can make your own version complete with less fat, lower sodium and quite often, an even better taste. So give these recipes a try next time you’re considering ditching your diet and falling into the fast food trap.
Breakfast: Homemade Egg McMuffins
- 237 calories
- 9 g fat (4.2 g saturated)
- 492 mg sodium
- 27 g carbs
- 8 g fiber
- 2 g sugar
- 4 g protein
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This homemade version of the classic egg mcmuffin are a tasty, much lower fat way to satisfy your cravings or even please a crowd. Of course, hosting breakfast for the masses can be difficult when you’re sticking to a hardcore fitness and nutrition regime, but this way you can please everyone with a well known favorite, impress with your kitchen skills and still keep it low on calories!
- 12 eggs
- 12 English muffins
- ½ lb thickly cut ham
- ½ pound cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly spray a muffin tray with low fat cooking oil
- Break one whole egg into each individual muffin opening
- Place in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and assemble your egg mcmuffins by placing one baked egg, one slice of ham and one slice of cheese onto an English muffin.
Lunch / Dinner: Pepperoni Pizza
- 298 calories
- 3 g fat (2 g saturated)
- 293 mg sodium
- 8 g carbs
- 4 g fiber
- 7 g sugar
- 6 g protein
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Let’s be honest, everyone loves pizza. It is a favorite for most and for me personally, the thing I crave most. Problem is, only one single slice of Domino’s will cost you 300 calories and let’s be honest, who has the willpower to only have one slice? That’s why this low calorie alternative that packs in protein, calcium and vitamin D from the addition of greek yogurt, is an excellent choice.
- 2 & ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 & ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup organic tomato sauce
- ½ cup part skimmed mozzarella
- ½ cup pepperoni
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast, sugar and warm water. Leave it to rise for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture, honey and yogurt. Stir together with a wooden spoon and then knead with your hands until a smooth ball forms, about 2-4 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a towel for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Once dough has rested, roll out to ¼-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 6-inch round circles. Gather remaining dough and roll out again to cut out additional circles. You should have 6 rounds.
- Place dough rounds on lightly greased baking sheets and top each one with a tablespoon of pizza sauce, a sprinkle of cheese, pepperoni and more cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is crisp around the edges and cheese is bubbly and browned on top.
- Serve as an individual pizza or cut into 4 slices each and serve to a crowd.
Drink: Chocolate Shake
- 151 calories
- 5 g fat (2 g saturated)
- 5 g carbs
- 4 g fiber
- 5 g sugar
- 5 g protein
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time:5 minutes
Ever craved a thick, creamy glass of chocolatey goodness on a hot day? You’re not alone. This healthy alternative can kill cravings without expanding your waistline. Not to mention, chocolate may be healthier than you think!
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced and frozen until hard
- 1/2 large banana, peeled, sliced and frozen until hard
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp chocolate sauce
- 1 cup chocolate almond milk
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide between two small glasses.